NextGen Pants, Inc.
Based in Boston, Chicago, San Francisco and Seattle
Every day in the world of Refactor thousands of puzzle pieces are created for the explicit purpose of playing “The Game”. Requiring perfection, only perfect puzzle pieces are selected for use and those who are imperfect are shunned by society and decommissioned. Thrown into this hostile environment, it is up to a couple of misfits to find their place in this unbending society.
Refactor is a physics-based platformer taking elements from classic Metroidvanias. Placed in a world that is a puzzle itself, you can literally turn the world upside down by rearranging the map and building your own pathways through the game. Uncover secrets, acquire new abilities and upgrades, and discover where you fit in the world.
Refactor was born from an offhand remark. As the team sat together coming up with ideas for different games to prototype, we started discussing the ridiculous trend of merging genres to create a game. Having our own go at it, we combined a falling block puzzle game with a Metroidvania and gave birth to the ludicrous term Tetroidvania. We all had a good laugh at it imagining the player being a piece from one of these falling block puzzle games who would explore a world heavily reminiscent of an old Metroid game. Though begun as a joke, there was something there at the core concept of such a bizarre genre bender that hooked deep into our subconscious. In meetings even months after the idea had arisen, Jeff would joke “We’re going to make that Tetroidvania someday.” That "someday" has apparently arrived...
- Explore a vibrant nonlinear world solving puzzles and uncovering secrets.
- Fight unusual enemies and unconventional bosses.
- Acquire new shapes to transform into, each with thier own unique sets of abilities.
- Take control of Refactor, change the world and build new paths to previously inaccessible areas.
PAX East 2017 DemoYouTube
Logo & Icon
- "Yes, it's a free-roaming 2D platformer, but it's no mere Metroid wannabe."
- Jeremy Parish, US Gamer
- "This was the most inspired, crafty title I played [at PAX East], and it still stands out as I type this."
- TONY "CHAINGUNPOPE" WILSON, Front Towards Gamer
About NextGen Pants, Inc.
NextGen Pants is a studio of independent game developers formed in 2013. We're a group of four dedicated team members working tirelessly on our first commercial project, Refactor. We have over a total of 17 years of experience in software development, sound design, music composition and the entertainment industry.
More information on NextGen Pants, Inc., our logo & relevant media are available here.